¨We don´t cry for men, we cry for Jiu Jitsu¨ Marcy

Monday, October 24, 2011

Panama to Colombia




There were so many different options on how I could get to Colombia that it became a bit overwhelming. I eventually went decided to Sail from Portabelo, Panama to Cartegena, Colombia and what a beautiful experience that was. It might be a while until I get my hands on the photos from some of the girls who sailed with me. Stopping off on the east of the Panamanian Canal in San Blas Islands (378 Islands) for 3 days for some INCREDIBLE snorkling was one of the highlights of the sailing experience. We left on a Monday night; possibly the 10th of October if I remember correctly and it was a FULL MOON! We set out to sea around 9pm and it was a spectacular sight to see. I wanted to sail to Colombia as opposed to flying or boating from place to place because it was a new experience to have. I finally had time to myself at sea to just relax, to calm myself and reflex on my life. I spent about 6 days more or less keeping to myself, writing in my journal, listening to music, cooking, swimming from boat to shore for exercise, snorkling for hours rain or shine, sitting at the bow of the boat watches as we crashed through the waves, visiting with the Kuna Indians on the many islands and seeing how beautiful their communities are. One night there was a storm and the lightning was simply insane. For those of you who know me well...you´ll know I am terrified of thunderstorms. Well, I`ve gotten a lot better since living in Costa Rica because it was ALWAYS raining in the city haha. I will admit, after about 5 minutes watching us get closer and closer to that lightning I just couldn`t handle it anymore and I ran below deck, put my ipod on full blast and burried myself in the sheets hahahaa; just hoping I wouldn´t hear any thunder to really set me off! A part of me might have thought we were going down hahaha. I wrote a hilarious journal entry that night praying to the universe to protect us haha, my imagination is just a little to much for me to handle sometimes.

I arrived in Cartagena on a Saturday where I toured around the city, enjoyed my first Colombian beer and coffee-a first priority in each country I visit!

By Sunday I was on my way to Santa Marta with the Captain from the sailboat (by bus)
Had a wonderful day swimming with Dolphins, snorkling with them, sleeping over night at an aquarium where I met an incredibly hospitable man named Luis! He offered us a few hammocks in his place instead of a tile floor so I was really happy about that! Delicious dinner- tuna, avocado tomato salad, chocolate for dessert..followed by a few bottles of Argentina and Chilean red wine.. by the end of the night I had one leg out of the hammock to make sure I kept myself in order! 

One of the many Islands in San -stolen photo
What I can say now....
I have never EVER been happier than I have been in these last 7.5 months. I am so thankful I took this opportunity and risk to travel. I am growing each day; on my own and from the people I meet along the way. Of course, with the occasional reminder.. I left a lot of unfinished business back in Canada as far as school, debts and work goes, but it´s not going anywhere...and the more time passes, the older I will get. This trip is a life changing experience and I believe it has been the start of amazing opportunities in my life and will continue once returning to my beauties back in Canada! You only live once, and although you may have big dreams it starts with a step a friend once told me...WRITE IT DOWN! Don´t just dream it, live it, breath it..ask yourself HOW, WHY, WHEN..and create plan A, B, C to Z if you have too. If you saw the amount of paper I went through this past year you´d slap yourself upside the head. 

Anything...ANYTHING is possible IF you put your mind, body, soul into it.

Cartagena, Colombia (stolen photo)
I steal some photos here and there because my camera was stolen earlier on in my trip..before I could really even use it actually. I have a little digital piece of crap I use here and there but it just doesn´t do anything justice. I write about all the beautiful things I see because I am better with a pen then a lense.
First night on the sailboat in my cabin
San Blas Islands
Kuna Village


1 comment:

  1. JAJAJAJAJA Jess you are Great writing!! You have TALENT!!!

    ReplyDelete