¨We don´t cry for men, we cry for Jiu Jitsu¨ Marcy

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Athletic Advance. San Pedro, Costa Rica

Athletic Advance. Costa Rica.
I cannot even begin to express my appreciation to the students and professors at Athletic Advance in Costa Rica. My original plan was to train in the city for 2 weeks and head back to the beach to take up surfing. It took one day of training to convince me I couldn´t head back just yet. I ended up finding a job teaching English within 4 days and of course as usual bounced around from house to house for a while until settling down. Too many belt colours to count but for starters: Fabian Calvo, Ariel Sexton, Juanito Barrantes, Fernando Moya, Alfredo Aspitia, Javier Valenciano, Esteban Arias, Alci Cleiton, Leonidas Ruaro, Ruben Rosales, Arranick Montero, - I have to thank each and every one of you for my experience at your Academy. I broke through some walls for sure. After the World Championships last year, I plateaued and was unable to get out of that phase for a whole year, it was finally my time and I couldn´t be happier about where I stand today. A number of things influenced this massive change, my lifestyle, traveling, being close to the ocean, surfing-practicing balance constantly, being challenged mentally, pyshically and emotionally each day. I remember the point when Javier Valenciano went over a few sweeps from the De La Riva guard, and seriously after that private I was blown away. Things started to fall into place and connections were being made. What an incredible feeling.

I have to make a shout of to Christian Graugart for inspiring me with his webpage, his lifestyle in pursuing his dreams as well, his advice to start my own blog page. For any of my friends and family who haven´t heard of him yet, here check him out, he´s pretty incredible! http://www.BJJglobetrotter.com
Leo and me rolling in Costa Rica. Playa Hermosa, Jaco-Ola Bonita...He says I roll like a guy, that´s why I love him!

Goofing around after a great afternoon roll, Gaby, Marcela, Leo mi and black belt Andre Oliveira!

Playa Hermosa. The mats were just on the grass footsteps away from sights like these...

Juanito Barrantes giving me my first class in Costa Rica-Athletic Advance. He´s an incredible fighter and also has a blog page: http://www.juanbarrantes.com/ 

Clint-a dear friend of mine! Thank you for the photos!
Alejandro Fernandez and me training some NoGi.

Playa Hermosa BJJ.




Here is a link to see some info about the instructors at Athletic Advance. http://www.athleticadvance.com/instructores.html  They are located in San Pedro, Costa Rica. About 10 minutes from San Jose. It is packed with talent, technique and smiles. I´ll be back soon enough!!

No comments:

Post a Comment