¨We don´t cry for men, we cry for Jiu Jitsu¨ Marcy

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Beginning. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

¨ORGANIZED LIKE A TEAM-FIGHTING LIKE A FAMILY¨

My Team in Canada. Ottawa Academy of Martial Arts-Team Renzo Gracie. My professor-Pat Cooligan, Matthew Hache, Peter Fazekas, Steve Joncas, accompanied by Rolles and Igor Gracie for a seminar.






Taking it back to the beginning in 2007 where I came back from University looking for a new sport; something to get me into tip top shape after 3 soccer knee injuries. My brother told me about OAMA which happened to be 2 minutes from my house. There I immediately fell in love with Muay Thai. I had/have incredible instructors back home. Mark Holst an extremely talented fighter and instructor was my first intructor along with Josh Palmer who is no longer located in Ottawa. I kept up a steady pace and was training 2-3-4 classes per day in Muay Thai, eager to fight. Some wise advice from an instructor was to take my time. I am thankful I listened to the advice because I wouldn´t be where I am today if things were different. I just imagine myself after 6-7 months fighting in a ring. Who knows maybe I would have been a rockstar but on the chance that I got killed, it might have scared me away from the sport or even taken some of my passion away after that experience. Now, to each there own but for me, I went on to the next best thing at the time. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Two weeks into starting I had already signed up for my first inhouse tournament. Four months later I found myself at Grappler´s Quest winning my first gold medal in the NoGi division and the rest is history. I have been training BJJ for almost 3 years now, December will mark the point. There was a period where I didn´t have the funds or the time to continue with Jiu Jitsu which was the gap between 2008-2010 but I came back stronger than ever with a fire burning to win the World´s. It was the only thing on my mind and my dreams came true last June. It literally was the best moment of my life, everything I envisioned in my dreams was becoming a reality. Even walking into that pyramid afterwards I had trouble keeping my shit together, feeling so overwhelmed with emotion. I am just a beginner in BJJ but I feel strong and driven towards bigger dreams.

At the moment I am training in each country and city that I visit through Central and South America. I am currently preparing myself for the competition season in the spring followed by the World Championships 2012 where I will dominate for a second time as a Blue belt-(The adrenalin rushes have already begun, and the visions). Traveling opens my mind to a lot of things, and for me jiu jitsu is simply a part of my life now, it runs strongly through my veins. I hope to see different techniques, flows, rhythms that will help me gain an edge in the competition world. I am and forever will be grateful to all of those I have met, and will meet soon for all the encouragement.

Keeping an open heart and an open mind can do you a lot of favours. Save the judgment and remember anything you believe can become a reality!

Pat Cooligan, Matthew Hache, Peter Fazekas, Nick Castiglia, Scott Cooper, Gerhardt Blume, Kru Mark Holst, Kru Jeff Harrison.

I am so thankful to have found OAMA-located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It´s where my passion for Martial Arts began and where I will always call home. Check them out at http://oama.ca/ . They offer Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, Mixed Martial Arts, Kettlebell, Kids classes and more. If you´re from Ottawa check it out, best intructors and training partners and facilities you could ask for! For any travelers heading to Canada to train Jiu Jitsu in the future strangers, friends or family of mine. Contact me we can find a way to make it possible! jessicapaigeclifford@hotmail.com


White Belt Tournaments:
Grappler´s Quest 2007- Gold NoGi
Arnold´s 2008- Silver Gi & NoGi
Renzo Gracie Invitational 2008- Bronze Gi
Arnold´s 2010- Gold Gi
New York Open 2010- Gold Gi
World Championships IBJJF 2010- Gold


Blue Belt Tournaments: 
Renzo Gracie Invitational 2010- Silver

Professor Pat Cooligan Faixa Preta- Team Renzo Gracie Ottawa
The charming, wonderful and charismatic Renzo Gracie.
Receiving Faixa Azul from Professor Pat Cooligan
Faixa Azul e Ouro!! and my lucky hat!
World Championships 2010-L.A, California Finals for White Belt Light Feather, where I received my blue belt from Pat Cooligan, the best day of my life!


Earlier moments in BJJ. On the road for my first Grappler´s Quest Competition.

Great friend and training partner Anne David. Side by side through all the blood, sweat and tears during competitions.

New York Open 2010-Light feather

Renzo Gracie Invitational- Blue Belt Light Feather-Silver


Renzo Gracie Invitational White Belt Bronze

No comments:

Post a Comment